Partition Management SOLVED I Think

Mike Dwiggins mike at azdwiggins.com
Fri Dec 2 08:41:50 UTC 2011

On 12/1/2011 7:35 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.12.2011 03:01, schrieb Mark Panen:
>> On 02/12/2011 03:55, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>>> Windows setup craps out with an
>>> error message saying the drive is corrupted.  The best I can figure is
>>> that it can't for some reason overwrite Fedora.
>>>
>>> Any clues on how to clear enough space for Windows or erase the disk so
>>> I can make it a dual boot in the normal fashion?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Mike D.
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda with a live linux cd.
> there is no need to wait hours overwrite the whole disk
>
> "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1" overwrites the whole MBR
> and partition table as the "bs=512 count=!" can be used to clone it
> on a new disk for replace a software-raid-drive
>
> BTW: /dev/hda will not exist in recent kernels, it's /dev/sda

I kinda messed up the various suggestions and wound up having to
reinstall a Fedora version so I picked i686 32 bit.  Scary as it sounds
it recognized the built-in wireless equipment and That IS compatable
with her work environment.  So if the 32 bit install does everything I
need she stays pure Fedora.

I will put this thread on hold and report at a later date.

Stranger things have happened I guess?

Mike D.