Fedora - time to blink

Pedro Francisco pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 09:37:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
-snip
> Just thought I'd chime in that my laptop is still happily using
> iwl3945 in F16 without noticeable connection problems. (Yes, it's
> faster if I connect it via ethernet, but I've always expected that.)
> Thanks if you're actually working on improving support for this
> chipset.

I'm just doing random tentative debugging :) For now, I've found out
that my iwl3945 SW Microcode crashes when you, having disable_hw_scan
= 0, do an "iw dev wlan0 scan passive" but not if you do an active
scan.

I've also found out that if I limit the frequencies to channel 48 (you
can check the frequencies you use by doing "iwlist f" ) no crash
occurs. I don't know if I'll be able to code something at the driver
--probably not -- but at least I can document the workaround to allow
hardware scanning to be enabled.

In my case I believe the software scan messes the card performance;
however after looking at some of the source code I believe there are
at least two "different" cards called iwl3945 or, if to believe on PCI
IDS differentiation, 4 or 5, so one card's issue may differ from
another's.