Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

fernando at lozano.eti.br fernando at lozano.eti.br
Fri Dec 2 13:36:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

>> Until now it doesn't look like I can install Fedora and use it on a pure tablet. So I keep my current netbook, which is yet not old.
>
>What makes you conclude that it won´t work?.
>
>It seems to me you didn´t google enough:
>
>http://www.entirelyunlike.net/?tag=iconia-tab-w500
>
>He´s got it working, including touch, explains how, and with screen rotation.

I wan't clear. I expect it to work, but as as it would on any notebook / netbook. The hardware is supported, that's all. So far it looks I can use the touch screen as a pointer device adn rotate the screen. Not a big deal. That means just using the tablet as a regular PC, with a different kind of mouse. It does not tell anything whether it will feel like a real tablet, with touch optimized UI and apps. That's what I mean by a "pure tablet".

I already had some touch-enabled PCs, like the HP tx2000, and they weren't confortable doing anything by touch. Sure current tablets have better touch screens, and the Gnome Shell was designed with some touch features in mind, but this alone is not enough.

The big question is: has anyone tried to use the W550 or a similar device as a real tablet, not as a netbook, using only touch to browse the web, read drm-free ebooks, watch vides, listen music, and playing games?

And how the touchscreen / virtual keybard are (or aren't) usefull for non-tablet applications like gimp and libre office?

So far no one answered those questions, not even a developer working on those features, so I assume there are none. F16 remains simply a PC operating system, not something you'd actually use on a tablet. :-(

[]s, Fernando Lozano