Bug 648732 – Intel wireless broken on 11n for many users

Lawrence Graves lgraves95 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:48:57 UTC 2011

On 12/02/2011 05:04 AM, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 2 December 2011 08:46, John Pilkington<J.Pilk at tesco.net>  wrote:
>> This looks as if it could be another instance of the problems with
>> nvidia 290.10   Try reverting or going to the new 'long-lived' 275.36
>>
>> Several examples on the atrpms-users list.
>>
> Are you sure? From the lsmod and Xorg it looks like nouveau is being
> loaded, and nvidia is not.
>
> If Lawrence has network access in text only mode I would suggest as root:
> yum reinstall xorg-x11-drv-nvidia nvidia-settings akmod-nvidia
> kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs
> nvidia-xconfig
>
> (All one line)
>
> If that doesn't help or there's no net access then (again as root),
> first line is moving the file to a backup with today's date:
> mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup-20111202
> nvidia-config-display
> echo blacklist nouveau>>  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
> dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
>
> This (in order), moves your current Xorg configuration to a backup
> file, uses nvidia-config-display to create a new one, tells the system
> not to use the nouveau driver (you'll need to undo this if you ever
> want to use nouveau) and creates a new initrd with nouveau excluded.
> Let us know how you get on.

I tried all that you instructed to no avail. When I tried reinstalling
the nvidia drivers, I received the message that there were no mirrors.
When I tried the mv, it came back and said nvidia-config-display is not
a directory.
I agree with the first statement made, the nouveau drivers are being
loaded and not the nvidia drivers for some strange reason. I have never
had this problem before. I bought the lastest nvidia card with the
express purpose of not facing these problems. Oh well:-) I still express
my thanks for your hard work. I guess it is back to the drawing board. I
wish I could send my laptop to you. I believe if you could see what it
is doing with your own eyes and not the eyes of a novice, it would be an
easy fix.
--
Lawrence Graves All things are workable but don't all things work.