Gnome and Xfce don't play well together

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 1 23:03:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 17:16 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:49:19 -0600
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > This happened in F15 and I thought I was just ignorant.
> > Now that it has happened again in F16 I realize it is a software
> > problem.
> > When Gnome is configured for a user and then the user tries to use
> > Xfce they find that the Xfce is corrupted in various ways. Namely:
>
> What do you mean by 'gnome is configured for a user' ?
> They logged in with gnome? something else?

Evidently the  problem occurs (metacity substituted for xfwm4) when a
gnome user configures a gnome session. I am not sure what configuration
is needed, In my case I added icons to the upper panel, for example.
When I logged in to Xfce it was screwed up.

Fixing it involved running: xfwm4 --replace &

Another user on my system that had not configured Gnome in any way did
not have the problem.

Catsup and Mustard all over the place! It's the Human Hamburger!
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net