Numlock warning on password entry boxes

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 3 00:18:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 16:02 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On every non-laptop keyboard I've ever used, those keys are arrow
> keys, and the corner keys have special uses.  Try turning off numlock
> when you're editing a document and see what they do; they're quite
> useful, in fact, and I prefer to work with numlock off whenever
> possible.

I've never seen the point of that.  On every non-laptop keyboard that
I've seen (*), those special keys actually have dedicated keys right
next to the numberpad (the page up and down, print screen, etc., keys).
So turning off numlock gives you a second set of the same thing, right
next to them.  And you lose the ability to quickly enter numbers.

* Keyboards like these ones, numlock is pointless:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Qwerty.svg

Reminds me of another pet keyboard peeve; I wish they'd put the damn
caps lock and num lock lights next to the damn buttons, or in them, not
on the opposite side of the board, and obscured by burying it in the
cabinet with a teeny tiny hole to shine through, and labelled with weird
legends (usually raised black plastic on a black plastic background).
The sodding things are designed by Bastards Incorporated.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.