The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Sat Dec 3 03:40:11 UTC 2011

On 12/02/2011 07:10 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 10:41 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 12/03/2011 09:38 AM, Craig White wrote:
>>> Whatever Linus thinks of Gnome is rather beside the point in that he is
>>> a kernel developer, not a Desktop UI expert and I am rather amused by
>>> those who felt his dis' of Gnome 3 or apparently now his receptiveness
>>> actually matters.
>> So this is what I hear you saying.....
>>
>> Linus is a kernel developer and not a UI developer.  Thus, his opinion
>> does not matter.
>> Since Linus is not a UI developer, he is only an end user.  Thus, the
>> opinions of end users don't matter.
> ----
> I think his opinion matters as much as anyone else (and I gather that in
> the eyes of Gnome developers, not so much).
>
> You know my feelings as I too am a KDE 4 survivor ;-) To make an omelet,
> you have to break some eggs. I think there is a core of long time Linux
> users who were upset because their familiar interface changed. Such is
> progress.

Change for the sake of change has always been idiotic.

In the case of Gnome 2, how many person-hours have been invested for
people to customize their work environments?  And poof!  All gone!

But it is very hipcrime to be counter-cultural these days -- why yes,
let's poo-poo Linus' opinion -- after all, he's a "long time Linux
user", whose opinion is ranked by idiots to be slightly lower than those
charged with the crime of the current Gnome UI regression.

Those who still employ critical thinking might be interested in the
logical fallacy we are being subjected to:

  http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/logic.html#novitatem

...but we already knew that, didn't we?

 -Scott