The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Dec 3 03:44:37 UTC 2011

On 12/03/2011 04:10 AM, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 10:41 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 12/03/2011 09:38 AM, Craig White wrote:
>>> Whatever Linus thinks of Gnome is rather beside the point in that he is
>>> a kernel developer, not a Desktop UI expert and I am rather amused by
>>> those who felt his dis' of Gnome 3 or apparently now his receptiveness
>>> actually matters.
>>
>> So this is what I hear you saying.....
>>
>> Linus is a kernel developer and not a UI developer.  Thus, his opinion
>> does not matter.
>> Since Linus is not a UI developer, he is only an end user.  Thus, the
>> opinions of end users don't matter.
> ----
> I think his opinion matters as much as anyone else (and I gather that in
> the eyes of Gnome developers, not so much).
ACK.

> You know my feelings as I too am a KDE 4 survivor ;-) To make an omelet,
> you have to break some eggs. I think there is a core of long time Linux
> users who were upset because their familiar interface changed. Such is
> progress.

Being one of these long time Linux users, I won't deny there is some
truth in what you say. The bigger question is if Gnome 3 is actual
progress or an "epic fail"?

When being presented Gnome 3, my feeling were the same as I had when my
then-3-year-old nice had proudly presented me here "flying horse".
"Look Uncle, my horse has learned to fly" (She had attached a couple of
plastic feathers to her plush pony's back and was throwing it into my
direction.).

Ralf