The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 3 16:30:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 07:26 -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> On 12/03/2011 05:14 AM, Craig White wrote:
> >   The last visit we had on this topic pretty much concluded that
> > Fedora's embrace of latest technologies didn't exactly mesh with your
> > expectations and I remarked that you should probably find a
> > distribution that does. Craig
>
> "Love it or leave it."
>
> Fortunately for us -- and not so fortunately for you -- Fedora is a
> community Linux distribution.
>
> It is not a Craig White Linux distribution.
>
> ...and I daresay any such _Linux_ distribution won't go very far, when
> its fearless leader has such a low opinion of _Linus_.
----
I don't recall ever professing to have any influence on the choices that
Fedora developers make nor do I ever use the users list as a soap box
for my thoughts on the matter. I am content to live with their decisions
and make the best of whatever short term issues arise and do bugzilla
reports when something fails to meet my expectations.

As for my opinion of Linus Torvalds - I don't think I have much of an
opinion since I have never met him, don't follow him on any social
networking forum, don't read his blogs and am of the belief that he
isn't using Fedora these days so I completely fail to see the purpose of
your above commentary except to provoke more irrelevance.

Yes, Fedora is a community based distribution - probably more so than
Ubuntu (see SABDFL) and you can have actual input into the decision
making process simply by getting involved. Of course that means doing
packaging or getting on the board of directors or clearly making efforts
beyond commenting from the peanut gallery.

As for "love it or leave it" - I suppose that is everyone's prerogative.
I am using Ubuntu on servers these days (as opposed to RHEL &/or CentOS
&/or SL &/or Oracle 'unbreakable' so seemingly moving to another distro
for my desktop is always an option... one that I considered before I did
a clean install of F16 last week. I use a Ubuntu desktop (via FreeNX) at
my work and I could easily use it instead of Fedora and it hardly
matters - so yes, 'love it or leave it' is clearly everyone's
prerogative.

Craig

believed to be clean.