Gnome 3 screensaver

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 21:01:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> wrote:
> Anyone tell me what to install to get screensaver setup in gnome3?
> Specifically to use slide show and my own picture folder?

GNOME 3 no longer includes built-in screensaver support, but you can
still use the legendary xscreensaver software to get a slide show
screensaver.

First, install it:
# yum install xscreensaver

The RPM drops a file in /etc/xdg/autostart to automatically start the
xscreensaver daemon on login, but that doesn't take effect immediately
after install, so either log out and back in or start the daemon:
$ xscreensaver &

Then, locate the xscreensaver configuration tool in your applications
menu or run:
$ xscreensaver-demo

To get a slide show screensaver, select "Only one screen saver" from
the "Mode" dropdown, then select GLSlideshow from the list of
screensavers.  Then, switch to the "Advanced" tab, and under "Image
Manipulation" make sure "Choose Random Image" is checked, and select
the directory that contains the images you want for the slideshow.

Note that hooks to work with xscreensaver were purposely removed in
GNOME 3, so you'll need to manually disable any screen blanking or
power management features if they get in the way.

-T.C.