kernel upgrade bug?

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Sat Dec 3 21:57:11 UTC 2011

On 12/03/2011 12:14 PM, Scott van Looy wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2011, at 15:56, Scott Doty wrote:
>
>> On 12/03/2011 04:30 AM, Scott van Looy wrote:
>>> Isn't there supposed to be an initramfs for 3.1.2-1?
>> My system has:
>>
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 15945815 Dec  1 21:24
>> initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img
>>
>> So yes, you should have one.
>>
>>> Is this a bug?
>> Depends.  If you used preupgrade to move from f15 to f16, it's probably
>> a bug.  If you used yum to do so, I'm not sure that that is an
>> "approved" method of upgrading...one does so at their own risk.
> I did. It's been doing this for a little while now, I just wanted to double check the new kernel is the same.
> What's new is that it didn't even tell me there was an error this timeā€¦I thought it might have just worked :)
>
>>> If there's supposed to be one, if so, how can I generate one? Once I have, do I need to reinstall grub?
>>>
>> You could use dracut to build the initrd, but you're probably better off
>> re-installing the kernel package.  Something like:
>>
>> $ su -
>> # yumdownloader kernel
>> # rpm -ivh --force kernel.package.file.name.rpm
> I tried yum reinstall kernel and got the same error.

What error?  (You didn't mention one before.)

Also, you might try using the rpm command, unless you'd rather not. ;)

>> You don't need to re-install grub, but you should double-check grub.conf
>> before rebooting to the new kernel.
> I currently have grub and grub2 - how can I tell which my system is using? Or do I just amend grub2 then run grub2-install /dev/sda?

I am not sure what the status of grub2 is -- and as I said before, I'm a
grub2 noob.  ;)

But you can find out the version of grub installed on /dev/sda with:

# file - < /dev/sda

(You need the dash to tell file(1) to read from stdin).

>> Also, I do believe f16 includes a move to grub2 -- at least, the tools
>> are installed after I ran preupgrade&  upgraded.  But my system was left
>> still using grub.  That's not such a bad thing, since the grub2.conf
>> syntax has completely changed, making us all grub noobs again.
>>
>> There's also a wiki page somewhere that talks about post-upgrade
>> cleanups one should perform to make sure old packages are thoroughly
>> removed...ask in #fedora about that, or maybe someone will post the link.
> Yeah, I followed all that.
> I was given some advice a while back to run dracut in sh -x - that works for me (but installing the rpm in sh -x doesn't work for me)
> But it doesn't work in bash.
>
> /sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 in bash just prints out the help associated with dracut, as if I'd not given it any arguments.
> sh -x /sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 works
>
> I have no real idea what the issue could be, if you or anyone else has any suggestions it'd be appreciated!

Is the error you mentioned earlier from dracut?  Might want to check to
ensure you have one (and only one) dracut installed:

$ rpm -qa | grep dracut
dracut-013-18.fc16.noarch

  -Scott