Problem booting under F16

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Dec 3 23:30:01 UTC 2011

On 11/27/2011 06:13 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Again, I'd suggest uninstalling the most recent kernel, and reinstalling
> it, in order to regenerate the initrd, and the grub menu item for it,
> afresh.

More info, now that I've had the time to play with my laptop.  First,
the kernel in question is 3.1.2-1.fc16.i686.PAE.  Second, /etc/grub.conf
is simply a link to the file in /boot/grub and third,
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg was a zero byte file.  Simply running
grub2-mkconfig streamed the new file to stdout; checking, I needed to
add the switch -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to have it write the new file
out.  Alas, rebooting to the new kernel didn't work.  Aside from
uninstall/reinstall, are there any other suggestions?