The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 4 01:59:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 07:37 -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> On 12/03/2011 05:31 AM, Craig White wrote:
> > As for the hell you imply that I might be feeling - sure. It's hell to
> > see what undoubtedly passes for adults in other arena's acting like
> > impudent children stammering and jumping up and down and shouting... I
> > want that toy.
>
> Finally, someone talking sense!
>
> Yes, Gnome 3 is little more than a toy at this point.  But since you've
> previously revealed that you use KDE, you don't realize how much of a
> toy it is.  You have no clue what we are talking about.
----
you are assuming that I didn't use Gnome 3 for a day after I installed
F16 but since I didn't much care for Gnome 2, the fact that I didn't
much care for Gnome 3 seemed logical.

There is the philosophy of 'release early and often', for many reasons
including getting more eyeballs on the code base, bug reports, bug
fixes, etc. Perhaps you are familiar with this one because it has been a
driving force behind Open Source software. This means that there are
times when there is some pain to be experience until things mature. This
seems to particularly evident on a DE because not all the parts and
pieces are in place for quite some time - as it was with KDE 4, so it
was with Gnome 3. Get over it. If you're not impressed with Gnome 3,
choose a different DE or use a different distro that is hanging onto
Gnome 2 for some time. Seems to me that you have more productive choices
than to somewhat pointlessly bitch and moan to a users list.
----
> In another message, you expressed the idea that we should (paraphrased)
> "love it or leave it."  But since you've previously revealed that you
> are an Ubuntu user, you have no clue what we are talking about.
----
not sure what one has to do with the other but apparently you missed the
point of the 'love it or leave it' designation came from you and I tried
to sign on to your assertion as best I could.
----

> If you want to have your ideas respected, I suggest you come up with
> respectable ideas.  "Stop using Fedora" is not one of them.  "Linus'
> opinion doesn't matter" is not one of them.
----
I don't recall ever expressing a desire to have my ideas respected -
clearly some will and some won't and I am more than willing to live with
that outcome as I don't actually expect everyone to agree with me.

I don't recall ever suggesting anyone to 'Stop using Fedora' but rather
would encourage everyone to evaluate whether Fedora is the right
distribution for their needs. If you want to make some leap into it
meaning anything more than that - take responsibility for your own leap.

Now that Linus has done both a dis and an embrace of Gnome 3 - are you
asserting that his opinion matters in terms of Gnome 3 implementation on
Fedora? Feel free to elaborate.

Craig

believed to be clean.