The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Dec 4 20:21:44 UTC 2011

On 12/04/2011 11:26 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Gnome3 provides a desktop for that vast majority of ignorant people who want a
> zero-slope learning curve between the smartphone, TV, computer, car and
> microwave oven.

Friday night, I was talking with writer John DeChancie.  He was
interested in turning one of his paintings into a cover for his latest
book, and I suggested that he look at Scribus, as it's FOSS and works
under Windows just as well as Linux.  As it happened, one of the other
members of the conversation had used the program and said that it was
very capable, but had a generous learning curve.  I replied, "Anything
worth using has a learning curve."

The ignoranti may want a UI with no learning curve, but they're not
going to get it.  Even the nipple takes time for an infant to learn how
to use.