The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Dec 4 20:47:40 UTC 2011

On 12/04/2011 12:05 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Rest assured, nobody will be taking your XFCE and KDE desktops from
> you, if you want to use them on a traditional PC.
>
> But IMHO it´s desirable to see Linux moving into these new grounds.

Exactly.  I have no objection to seeing Linux move into the realm of the
tablet, the phone and the pocket computer;[1] I think it's a good thing.
  I don't even object to creating a UI for a desktop that emulates that
of a tablet, for those who want it.  What I, personally, object to is
making that emulation the default for a major DE and telling anybody who
complains that they'll just hafta learn to use it.  I can't speak for
anybody else (except, in this case, my sister) but my (and her) reaction
to something like that is to say, "No I don't," while walking away from
whatever it is and finding something else that I like better.

I probably would have at least given Gnome 3 a try if the attitude of
the devs hadn't been so inflexible.  When they said to the world, in
effect, "My way or the highway," my instant response was to find a
different DE (XFCE in my case) that allowed me to do things my way
instead of forcing me to do things the way the devs think the world
wants to do things.

YMMV, and if you're using Gnome 3 clearly does, which is fine with me.

[1]Jerry Pournelle, who (along with Larry Niven) predicted pocket
computers in *The Mote In God's Eye,* and *The Gripping Hand,* is
thrilled to see his prediction come true so soon.