The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 21:42:57 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 17:49, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> you do NOT WANT to understand me

YES I DO. ;)

> but it is dumb to make a desktop DEFAULT which ignores real
> computers!

I get your point, you´re complaining about Gnome3 being the default. I
hear you, loud and clear, no need to shoot the messenger if you don´t
like someone´s opinions. :)

All this brouhaha would be moot if Fedora simply detected the kind of
device it´s being installed on and show a screen saying

"this looks like** a Tablet device, so we´ll default to a touch-based
interface, OK? [yes-no]"

Or "This looks like** a Desktop computer, we´ll be defaulting to XFCE.
Are you OK with that? [yes-no]"

Or "This is a laptop or netbook. Which desktop interface do you
prefer? [a] [b] [c] [d]".

So everyone is happy and there´s no ugly desktop forced down anybody´s throat.

FC
PS: While I wrote the above ** I couldn´t help smiling and thinking
about the infamouse Clippy and its "it looks like you´re writing a
letter..." ;-)

--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code