The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 4 22:25:40 UTC 2011

Tim:
>> Even with devices designed for the businessman to do things like
>> that, such as the Blackberry, it's inadequate for the task.  I've sat
>> next to them eeking out an email, and anything more than about two
>> sentences is a major chore.

Alan Cox:
> You need to watch a 14 year old not a business-drone. The kids learned
> this stuff from a young age and their wpm on a phone is scary.

Actually, this is where I see another problem.  Kids seem to be quite
happy to jump through hoops, and do a variety of inconvenient things,
just to get it done.  Myself, I consider that bad design.

I am a tech-head.  I work in video production, and I'm surrounded by
things that I have to endlessly fiddle with to get the results.  I need
that for its flexibility.  I wouldn't suggest that the ordinary person,
who just wants to look at something, should have to go through the same
rigmarole.

I picked the businessmen as my example, because it's probably more
indicative of the general public.  For one thing, they're expensive
toys, though are getting to the stage where kids do own them.  But more
that I'd say there's more adults using these gadgets than kids.  And, by
now, I think it's obvious to most that the great masses of people using
some sort of computing device are not brilliantly technically literate.
--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.