The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Dec 5 02:54:21 UTC 2011

Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/03/2011 02:12 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Currently - but that's because low end tablet devices can't run modern PC
>> style software. That will change.
>
> Do you really think that an accountant will ever want to fill out a
> spreadsheet on a tablet, even with a keyboard, if a desktop or laptop's
> available?  I know a number of authors[1][2] and I can't imagine even
> one of them willing to work without a proper keyboard.  For that matter,
> I've completed three novels for NaNoWriMo and have three more stuck at
> about 60K words, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to do that much
> writing with only an on-screen keyboard.
>
> [1]Not writers; people who earn their living from their writing.
> [2]Names available on request, as I'm not interested in name dropping
> for its own sake.

I did one book for NaNoWriMo, although the length to "complete" it was about
half of what it reached when really done. I built a system just for writing,
with a big HDTV as monitor so I could have the timeline tool and word processor
on the screen, and went through three keyboards and two chairs before I got the
perfect setup. Haven't done one in a few years, last year my wife was dying and
I was caretaker 7x24, this year I'm about 60k into a book which insisted on
being written before the one I sat down to write.

There will never be a single right size, portability vs. display size thing, and
as people hit 40 they realize that fonts they *can* read are no longer ones they
*want to* read.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>