The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Mon Dec 5 08:21:10 UTC 2011

On 12/04/2011 11:44 PM, Scott Doty wrote:
> But this resembles an _unconfigured_ gnome2 installation -- all of the
> buttons, drawers, and widgets from Gnome 2's gnome-panel are lost.

To add things to the panels, press alt and hold, press right mouse click.

The drawers are not there though, but buttons, and most widgets etc. are
there.

> I really wish people would stop trying to put lipstick on the fallback
> mode -- just tell folks to move to kde, or xfce.

Lipstick? For me it is as close to Gnome2 that I can get, I can get the
buttons and widgets I used, and most importantly, it restores the
work-flow that I once had in Gnome2, the work-flow that Gnome3 with its
shell totally destroyed. I can get my work done again, and that's what
it is important for me.

I actually did use Xfce since Gnome3 hit me, but turned to the fall-back
mode mentioned above (i.e. Gnome3 with metacity, Gnome3 with compiz I
did not get to work though, could not add things to the panels).

The sad thing is that they have hidden this fall-back mode quite thoroughly.

Lars.
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/