The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Pasha R pashar.ml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 08:32:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Misha Shnurapet
<shnurapet at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> 03.12.2011, 13:48, "Sam Varshavchik" <mrsam at courier-mta.com>:
>>  It's not that stuff has merely changed. It's that the stuff has changed,
>>  major parts of existing functionality were removed without having any
>>  functional replacements
>
> There is no arguing that the new GNOME 3 is a significant change. But what you had with GNOME 2 was a result of about a decade of development. You want the same user experience, the same functionality today while it takes months to port all the stuff that you may not even know is to stay in GNOME. I wonder, when the GNOME 2 came out, was it something largely accepted.
Then this functionality should be ported before it is declared as
release and pushed as a full replacement for current working
environment. Or it could be pushed as experimental spin, while
mainline still keeps with GNOME 2.

>>  and every time someone points this out, they're
>>  told that they're too stupid to know what's good for them, and this is The
>>  Better Way.
>
> I think you're exaggerating. Noone from the GNOME project could have actually told you that.
I think he isn't. They actually did say it many times. Not in those
exact words, but that is the general attitude of GNOME3 devs.

>>  Gnome 3 came without any kind of a sensors CPU widget.
>
> GNOME 3 is much more extensible than any other previous version of GNOME, it is made to receive many kinds of extensions AND IT WILL.
This looks more like marketing-speech. I haven't yet seen a single
extension that is on par in terms of functionality with what I use in
GNOME2 for years.

> 04.12.2011, 03:56, "Bill Davidsen" <davidsen at tmr.com>:
>> And scrapping all your old computers because they don't have magic video
>> cards for visual cruft is not in the cards.
>
> Old hardware receives the classic user experience in the form of fallback mode. But if you want the exact GNOME 2 with no option to compromise, the attitude you may receive may simply become your payback.
Marketing speech again. In GNOME 3.0 fallback mode was a joke. In 3.2
it is really closer to GNOME 2, though.

> 04.12.2011, 00:26, "Scott Doty" <scott at ponzo.net>:
>>  ...and I daresay any such _Linux_ distribution won't go very far, when
>>  its fearless leader has such a low opinion of _Linus_.
>
> I absolutely undrestand that you like Linus. But don't you forget that Linus is a long time KDE user, and that's a different view on user interface and usability. We love GNOME for being GNOME unless switch DE easily and stop complaining. Knowing that Linus likes to troll both developers and users from time to time, it's funny to see the adherents of ye olde GNOME coming up with the quotes to support their point of view, especially when those are rather positive.

This is not a matter of like or dislike. I don't know him personally
to like or dislike him, but he looks like a very sensible person and
this is what makes his opinions valuable.