NFS Mounting oddity...

Soham Chakraborty sohamwonderpiku4u at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 12:38:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Arthur Dent <misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have just upgraded my desktop to F16 from F14 (I skipped F15 because the
> live distro did not seem able to run gnome 3 on - now it does
> apparently!).
>
> I did a clean install (but with the existing /home partition) and copied
> accross some config files (see below).
>
> Now, although F16 works OK I notice it takes a veeeerrry looooong time to
> boot. A little investigation led me to this:
> [root at localhost ~]# systemd-analyze blame
>  60374ms mnt-NFSmark.mount
>  60369ms mnt-datastore.mount
>  60368ms mnt-stuff.mount
>  3819ms mdmonitor-takeover.service
>
> Now this machine connects to a server running F15 on my home network
> (192.168.2.2). This is the /etc/exports on that machine:
> cat /etc/exports
> /home/mark
> 192.168.2.4(rw,async,no_subtree_check,nohide,no_root_squash)
> /mnt/tempstore
> 192.168.2.4(rw,async,no_subtree_check,nohide,no_root_squash)
> /mnt/datastore
> 192.168.2.4(rw,async,no_subtree_check,nohide,no_root_squash)
> /mnt/f11
> 192.168.2.4(rw,async,no_subtree_check,nohide,no_root_squash)
>
> The NFS drives on the F16 desktop PC (192.168.2.4) are mounted by
> /etc/fstab:
> 192.168.2.2:/home/mark /mnt/NFSmark     nfs     rw              0 0
> 192.168.2.2:/mnt/tempstore/ /mnt/stuff  nfs     rw              0 0
> 192.168.2.2:/mnt/datastore/ /mnt/datastore      nfs     rw              0
> 0
>
> This was copied from the previous F14 install where it worked fine and
> there were no such delays during boot.
>
> Why does it now take so long?
> How do I troubleshoot further, or - better yet - fix it?

Hi,

This could be related to the network card initializing itself later  at the
boot process while in the earlier steps, it has marked itself as active. I
have seen incidents like this.

Is it possible for you to mount all the NFS mounted FS at the last stage of
the boot process. Possibly creating a rc.local file, making it executable
and do the NFS mounts from it. This can be one step of debugging.

Another can be to simply add _netdev option in the NFS exports and check
whether it improves things.

This is all what I can think of now.

Thanks,
Soham