F16 and gnome 3.2

Rich Boyce rich at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Dec 5 15:23:23 UTC 2011

On 05/12/11 14:30, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 09:41 +0000, Rich Boyce wrote:
>> On 03/12/11 22:26, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>>> I have done a F16 new install on an HP Pavilion g series.  When I did a
>>> first boot the system advised me it was going to switch to gnome
>>> fallback mode.  Is this something I am going to need to live with or is
>>> their a way to retry gnome 3.2.  Sure would appreciate your help.
>>
>> It's likely to be down to your graphics hardware - Gnome 3.2 requires
>> more hardware acceleration than traditional desktop environments. What
>> graphics hardware does the machine have? You can see this by running
>>
>> lspci -v | grep VGA
>>
>> Rich
>
> In my case thew result is:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if oo (VGA Controller)
>
> How exactly is this controller lacking and how do you identify a video
> controller that will work with Gnome w3.2?

I've just been trying to find this out, and not succeeded after a few
minutes of googling. The Gnome folk say that 'accelerated graphics
hardware' is needed.

However, I have a machine here with an intel 82945G/GZ and it can run
Gnome-shell fine. So this is a little odd. Can you just run this to make
sure you have gnome-shell installed:

yum list gnome-shell

If it says 'Available' instead of 'Installed', then you can install it with:

sudo yum install gnome-shell

Reboot, then see if you get gnome-shell when you log in.

Rich