The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Robert M. Witkop fmg at mpsws.com
Mon Dec 5 17:20:42 UTC 2011

I have been working with computers and operating system before many on
this list were even a twinkle in their fathers eye. When I was
introduced to Linux (kernel 0.92), it pleased me that I could switch to
a computer I didn't have to build myself. Also, I no longer had to run
ZPM at home, and unix at work.

Although I normally only update on even versions, because I don't mind
change, I like some stability in my work.

I upgraded my hardware about the time that F15 came out, so I decided
that I would install f15 instead of f14. When I found that gnome did not
run out of the box, I had to make a decision, to I want to go through a
learning curve, or do I want to develop systems.

If I wanted windoz, I would run windoz.

I am hoping that when I get the time to upgrade my systems to F16, that
the source for the old gnome will compile with it. If not, I will have
to upgrade to one of the simple window system that just let me do my
work.

I know "opinions are like a part of our anatomy in that everyone has
on", and I usually keep my opinions to myself, but GNOME3 is so
different from 2 that it should have been forked as a new product, not
put out as a revision.