fedora 13 to 14

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:49:33 UTC 2011

Patrick Dupre <patrick.dupre <at> york.ac.uk> writes:

> service NetworkManager restart
> Stopping NetworkManager daemon:                            [FAILED]
> Setting network parameters...                              [  OK  ]
> Starting NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
>
> NetworkManager dead but pid file exists
>
> I also tried
> network:
>
> service network restart
> Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:
> Determining IP information for eth0... failed.
>                                                             [FAILED]
>
> How can I fix the issue?
>
> Thank.

First, make sure that you run only one networking startup service, either
"network" or "NetworkManager".
So decide for one, and then stop, and then disable the other on your run level
so it will not be started on reboot again.
# chkconfig --help

Next, how do you think your IP address is assigned, statically or dynamically ?
In the latter case it would be obtained from a DHCP server, presumably
located on your router, and that would require a dhcp client on your machine.
Regardless of the above, if you know the IP address your machine should have,
you can assigne it to your interface manually.

The net config files to check are (I am on F16, so some files may differ):
$ ls /etc/sysconfig/net*
/etc/sysconfig/netconsole  /etc/sysconfig/network

/etc/sysconfig/networking:
devices  profiles

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
ifcfg-lo     ifdown-post    ifup-bnep  ifup-plusb     init.ipv6-global
ifdown	     ifdown-ppp     ifup-eth   ifup-post      net.hotplug
ifdown-bnep  ifdown-routes  ifup-ippp  ifup-ppp       network-functions
ifdown-eth   ifdown-sit     ifup-ipv6  ifup-routes    network-functions-ipv6
ifdown-ippp  ifdown-tunnel  ifup-ipx   ifup-sit
ifdown-ipv6  ifup	    ifup-isdn  ifup-tunnel
ifdown-isdn  ifup-aliases   ifup-plip  ifup-wireless

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*-eth0

Hope this will jump start you.
There is plenty of official RH/Fedora docs and info on the Internet.

JB