The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:55:17 UTC 2011

On 6 December 2011 00:48, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> And it's not just the change in direction, it's the huge increase in
> computing power that's a big problem.  Some years ago, Compiz came out,
> with fancy flashy effects for your desktop (pretty, but unessential).
> That required a 3D accelerated card, which wasn't appreciated very much.
> Those of us with the hardware had a play, but would notice that Compiz,
> by itself, was using almost all the available resources.  The computer
> was getting sluggish, the card was getting very hot.  Never mind wanting
> to do other things with your computer, than merely run the desktop.

Actually I found Compiz introduced some useful things, overlaying
transparent windows and drag and drop (of windows and items) between
workspaces was actually useful. There were some good accessibility
features (the desktop zoom). Though my favourite thing about Compiz
was the time (four years ago) when a Mac-using friend saw me using it
and said "I don't know what it is, but that's what heaven must look
like". My complaint about Gnome3 is mainly that it restricts that kind
of extended use rather than enabling it.

But the number of times this discussion has gone around is just
unproductive. At the end of the day? I spend most of my time working
on multiple terminal windows and text editors, doing some music and
photo organisation and have several browser windows open. I have no
idea what a power user is. The only thing that's permanently
irritating is the alt-tab / alt-` split (and some details of the alt-`
behaviour).

--
imalone