Problem booting under F16

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:16:40 UTC 2011

Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh <at> redhat.com> writes:

> SELinux relabeling is caused by booting a rescue mode kernel.  As soon
> as you boot a system with SELinux disabled, the init system creates
> the /.autorelabel file, so the next time it boots with SELinux it will
> relabel.

Question:
Are you not setting yourself up for trouble with this /.autorelabel here ?

Case:
- I disable selinux
  # cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux ...
  SELINUX=disabled
- I reboot the system,
- /.autorelabel created by sys init,
- I enable selinux again,
- I reboot with intention to boot rescue mode kernel (obviously because I assume
  there is some problem to fix; it would make sense to boot to the same system
  state that caused me to want it have investigated or fixed, without e.g. any
  potential interruption or fs changes, perhaps from selinux doing relabeling),
- Selinux jumps in with relabeling (potential interference/change to system
  state as described above, it may not even finish its job, and so I am stuck
  and unable to fix the system, now and possibly on next attempt as well).

Do you see a problem here ?

JB