Major upgrade failure

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Dec 7 00:18:16 UTC 2011

On 12/06/2011 03:33 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Don't mean to toot my horn, but even myself, who usually has pretty good
> luck salvaging bricked upgrades, had to admin defeat with one of my
> patients, this time, nuke it from high orbit, and reinstall it, after
> the F16 upgrade made an utter mash of it.

You misunderstand.  I'm not asking why I should reinstall, but why use
the LiveCD instead of the DVD.  I'd always rather take a few minutes to
customize my install ahead of time because it saves hours of downloading
and installing things later.  And, as I already have a separate /home,
I'd need a kickstart file to make it start UserIDs at 500 instead of
1000.  Nuke, pave, reinstall may be better than fixing, but for somebody
like me, it's not the simplest thing in the world.