Which Fedora 16 for Levono 120e?

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Wed Dec 7 12:23:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 11:49:09AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:32:35 -0800
> Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> > On 12/06/2011 05:58 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > Except that your 4GB of memory will work more efficiently. 32-bit
> > > versions can't address all of the 4GB without fiddling with page tables,
> > > as has been discussed many times on this list.

> > I have just 4GB on this laptop and a PAE kernel, which is supposed to
> > help with that.  Don't know how good it is, but I thought it worth
> > mentioning.

> Not very.. PAE means it can access all 4GB, but in 32bit mode it's still
> unable to do so efficiently. The efficient limit for 32bit is about 1GB.

OK. This is the technical aspect. The 64 bit kernel handles 4GB memory
more efficiently than a 32 bit PAE kernel. (And efficient is rather vague
without further specification).

But 'subjectively' you don't notice any difference doing "standard"
tasks where memory mostly stays under 1GB. And even above 1GB the
"speed" difference is not very noticeable. At least in my very limited
'subjective' day to day experience.
I have not really "experimented" extensively.

Are there results of controled measurements available?

Alexander