Major upgrade failure

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Dec 7 13:41:53 UTC 2011

Am 07.12.2011 09:29, schrieb Craig White:
> On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 23:27 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 12/06/2011 10:50 PM, Craig White wrote:
>>> out of curiosity, what is the requirement for having uidNumbers starting
>>> at 500 instead of 1000?
>>>

>> Because I've had this system running since F8 and have three different
>> users right now.  Keeping the numbers the way they are is much simpler
>> than trying to get all three of them changed over.  You do understand
>> the KISS principle, don't you?
> ----
> You really should not be so condescending... it was uncalled for.
>
> Are you suggesting that it's easier to do a kickstart just to create
> users with specific uidNumbers rather than just 'chown joe:joe /home/joe
> -R' ?

YOU are suggesting that you know only your small world with
one computer and 1-3 users where all data lives in /home/
because you never saw environments with multiple users and
shared data-structures you can't place in /home and if you
work on more than one computer where one starts with 500
and the other starts with 1000 your chown does not
help you in any way