using bluetooth and cell phone in Fedora 16

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Wed Dec 7 16:16:38 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am a Fedora LXDE spin user and need to connect via dial-up using a
bluetooth cell phone.

Earlier this year, I used gnome-bluetooth and was able to connect
seamlessly. At that time, we were on Fedora 14 and gnome was on 2.8 (or
something like that).

Ever since the move to Fedora 15 (and now 16) and gnome3+, I am unable
to get anything. Here is what happens: I click on the bluetooth icon.
The phone is up there. When I click on Preferences, all I get is a
blank window. Nothing more.

When I run gnome-session from the commandline, here is what I get
(other than the same blank window):

%gnome-session
gnome-session[2056]: WARNING: Unable to find required component
'gnome-shell'
gnome-session[2056]: WARNING: Unable to find default provider
'metacity' of required provider 'windowmanager'
gnome-session[2056]: WARNING: Unable to find required component
'gnome-panel'

I don't really care about Gnome3 or Gnome2, given how rarely I use it.
If it is not possible to troubleshoot the problem above, is it possible
to go down to Gnome2, or better still, is there another option (not
another DE, please!).

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan