f16 and hdmi interfaces

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 19:27:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:18:02 -0600
Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I am trying to use an hdmi interface between an f16 system and a
> flatscreen tv.   The video display is great, but there is no sound via
> the hdmi.   Are there any drivers that will allow F16 to channel the
> audio through the hdmi or am I going to need to use the regular sound
> interfaces.

Lots of things to check since there could be many different
source of this problem. Look in the sound control center
app and see if the hardware tab mentions HDMI. If it
doesn't then the video driver probably doesn't have
HDMI support. If it does mention it, maybe you just
don't have it selected as the default?

Certainly some devices do not have HDMI support yet.
A system I have at home with an ATI card (I forget
which model) definitely has HDMI hardware, but no
support for it in the freeware driver. The binary
ATI driver had HDMI support, but was so dreadful on
the graphics side that I decided to live without
sound.