A side issue. was, Re: allow

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Dec 7 20:31:23 UTC 2011

On 12/07/2011 08:35 AM, Digimer wrote:
> Explain your problem in some detail. The more you tell about your
> problem, what log messages are being generated, how it's failing and so
> on will help others help you.

As I've mentioned before, I used to do telephone tech support.  After a
while I learned never to refer to "your problem" because some people
would take it too personally and think it meant either that they had a
problem or that they *were* the problem.  (Of course, this was true all
too often, but you're not supposed to tell the customers that.)  As  I
came to understand this, I learned ways to avoid the phrase, such as
"the issue," "the trouble" or, if I had to, "the problem."  I only
mention this because by using the phrase several times, as you did in
the quoted passage, it could appear to somebody who's overly-sensitive
that you were referring to them.

I understand, of course, that you weren't, but I thought some of the
list members might be interested in a way to avoid misunderstandings.