A side issue. was, Re: allow

Patrick Dupre patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk
Wed Dec 7 21:34:42 UTC 2011

Thank you for teh advice.

I did not solve the issue with allow, but I solved my issue
Do not worry.

> On 12/07/2011 08:35 AM, Digimer wrote:
> Explain your problem in some detail. The more you tell about your
> problem, what log messages are being generated, how it's failing and so
> on will help others help you.

As I've mentioned before, I used to do telephone tech support.  After a
while I learned never to refer to "your problem" because some people
would take it too personally and think it meant either that they had a
problem or that they *were* the problem.  (Of course, this was true all
too often, but you're not supposed to tell the customers that.)  As  I
came to understand this, I learned ways to avoid the phrase, such as
"the issue," "the trouble" or, if I had to, "the problem."  I only
mention this because by using the phrase several times, as you did in
the quoted passage, it could appear to somebody who's overly-sensitive
that you were referring to them.

I understand, of course, that you weren't, but I thought some of the
list members might be interested in a way to avoid misunderstandings.
users mailing list
users at lists.fedoraproject.org

  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  Department of Chemistry            |   |  Phone: (44)-(0)-1904-434384
  The University of York             |   |  Fax:   (44)-(0)-1904-432516
  Heslington                         |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |  email: patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk