Major upgrade failure -> people maintain > 1 computer

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Dec 8 01:51:40 UTC 2011

Am 08.12.2011 02:40, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:

>>> Why would you even consider using Fedora in such an environment? If you
>>> have a server farm with shared users and use rsync/nfs/whatever, and
>>> you have the
>>
>> Why not (rsync btw translates names fine)
>
> Because Fedora has a fast lifecycle, and introduces major system changes in
> every version. Ok, sure, you certainly *can* maintain Fedora machines in a
> production environment, but it typically involves more work than using a LTS
> distro like RHEL. That was the point I was trying to make.

yes, that it for what you get paied as administrator

>>> whole thing (or a part of it) running on Fedora, then you'd better be
>>> prepared to do some nontrivial amount of work when upgrading the Fedora
>>> machines.
>>
>> And presumably RHEL in future.
>
> Umm, AFAIK RHEL explicitly doesn't support upgrades across major releases.

Umm Fedora does not recommend upgrade via yum and i did it some hundrets
of times since FC5 until now

> The thing is --- you need to do that "some nontrivial amount of work" when
> upgrading the OS in both cases (Fedora and RHEL). It's just that with RHEL you
> do that kind of work once every 5-7 years, while with Fedora you do it every 6
> months.

well, and if you are a company which develops web-based systems and hosting
them on your own infrastructure you bave to wait 5-7 years for major upgrades
of php/mysql which is quite impossible in this business

and if you start include third-party repos to get newer versions you
lose the support - this 7 years support is for people relying on
crappy apllications which permanently break if anything on the system
is changed but not if your business is IT-centred because 5-7 years
in the IT is a very very long time