Unable to get into X

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 02:33:19 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 07 December 2011 13:34:48 Joe Zeff wrote:
> I'm starting Yet Another Thread here because things have changed enough
> that it seems reasonable.  On my desktop, I ran this:
>
> yum --releasever=16 --skip-broken distro-sync
>
> and let it do what it wanted, including downgrading several packages.
> Then I rebooted.  I always see the old progress bar, because of my
> nVidia card, making for a garbled screen as the new boot messages came
> up, but that's been true since the "upgrade."  It tried, tried and tried
> some more to bring up the login screen, but couldn't manage it.  After a
> couple of minutes I rebooted.  This time I used the latest kernel in
> rescue mode and used telinit 3 to get to a CLI.  Looking at Xorg.0.log I
> could see that it tried a large number of screen settings to find out
> which ones worked and which didn't and couldn't get some xinerama TV
> settings to work.  (No surprise, I don't have that type of screen.)  I
> didn't see any obvious error messages, however.  If anybody wants, I can
> post the file on my website and you can look at it.

Sure, post the link, I can take a look (no promises to have useful advice
afterwards, though :-) ).

While you're at it, post also the /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it exists, the output
of xrandr, and any nontrivial details about your hardware (a KVM switch
between the computer and the monitor is a typical troublemaker, for
example...).

Best, :-)
Marko