F16 -- what app is needing libass?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 8 13:06:10 UTC 2011

So I am customizing my first install with F16 and am hitting
dependencies problems.

Now I am familiar with this that though a package is listed in the
installer, the DVD does not have all that is needed for the install
(even though I have specified my local updates repo).

I have backed off a number of apps I wanted to install up front, like
Audacity, Sollarium (or what ever the actual name is), ntop, and
something else I can't remember...

But I am still left with something wanting libass that needs
libfribidi.so and of course I can't trace back to what I selected to
remove it!  Any hints what to look for?  A google search of libass
mentions ASS/SSA and multimedia, but what?

ARGH!!!!

I assume just like I can point the install to my local updates repo so I
don't have to install what came on the DVD, and right away turn around
to do a 500Mb or so update, I must be able to point to the whole OS repo
for what is not locally on my DVD? (for the next install)