FC16 - moving sshd to another port

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 8 14:26:31 UTC 2011

I have always run SSHD on a different port as part of my obfusication.
Yeah, I know it will not stop good portscanners, but it stops all that
stupid doorknocking on port 22...

So I changed sshd_config to use port 557 (not really, but I'm not
telling here) and enabled root login (yeah I know I can get in and then
do a su -, but perhaps I am a bit lazy).  And restarted sshd (service
sshd restart).

Will this got:

Redirected to /bin/systemctl

And then doing a service sshd status I see that it failed with
status=255.  Oops perhaps the firewall, I did not open port 557.

So I go over to the firewall gui and open port 557 as a custom TCP
port.  Restarted sshd.  Still a failure.  hmmm.  Oh, is this the SELinux
stuff that I would always disable?  Maybe this time I want to fight with
SELinux instead of just disabling it, but what to do here?  Help?