FC16 newbe questions

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 8 15:58:27 UTC 2011

On 12/08/2011 09:30 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Thursday 08 December 2011 09:10:54 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> So I skipped FC15.  I never worked on Vista of WIn7, always using the
>> 'classic' windows desktop in XP.  So I have some REAL challenges
>> adjusting th GNOME in FC16....
>>
>> Like where are my workspaces?  I work with 4 of them for my different
>> set of jobs.  Maybe with the added memory on this lenovo, I might go
>> with 6...
> Activate "activities" by putting the mouse into the upper-left corner of the
> screen. Then you can see a list of currently open workspaces on the far right
> on the screen, where you can click to switch between them (and make an
> indecent-for-public comment on mouse-mileage of the desktop design).

alt-F1 does bring up the workspace switcher, but Cntl-Alt-arrow does not
switch between workspaces.  I need to find the handy-dandy workspace
keystroke switcher.
> You don't get to have a predetermined number of 4 or 6 desktops. You start
> with one, and as soon as you open some app on that one, another empty one will
> be automatically created for you below that one, and so on.

OK.  I see this.
> The next question you'll probably post will be "where is the shutdown option
> in the menu?", so let me save you the trouble and say that there isn't one.
> You can get it by pressing the ALT button on the keyboard once you open the
> menu.
Suspend will be the big option I will be looking for.

> And of course, you can always forgive&forget&switch to XFCE, KDE or LXDE. ;-)

And which one has that Win2000 look/feel that I kind of grew up with :)

I probably need to just bite the bullet as at some point the corp system
will go from XP to Win7 and I will be expected to recongnize some things
there...