FC16 newbe questions

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Thu Dec 8 17:18:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 09:10:54AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> So I skipped FC15.  I never worked on Vista of WIn7, always using the
> 'classic' windows desktop in XP.  So I have some REAL challenges
> adjusting th GNOME in FC16....
> Like where are my workspaces?  I work with 4 of them for my different
> set of jobs.  Maybe with the added memory on this lenovo, I might go
> with 6...
> Where are the System Admin tools like Services and Printer?   Oops just
> found Services in 'other'.
> I LIKE keyboard shortcuts like Alt-F1 and arrow keys to select what I
> want to start without all this messy desktop icons nonsense.
> Getting info on workspaces is probably my first concern, but where is
> some decent info on how to navigate around now?

I suspect if you get responses there is a > 50% chance that you will
be advised to switch to another DE: XFCE, LXDE, KDE, etc.

But things are not that bad. Fed16+Gnome3.2 is quite usable.

I advise you to first have a good look around before you make any
decision.

Start by reading the 'Help', to be found under
'Activities'->'Applications'->'Accessories': the red/white lifebouy
icon.

Then you can navigate the desktop more or less comfortably.
Furthermore a lot of things can be configured using the so called
'gnome-shell-extensions'. There you can add menu icons to the top bar,
remove unwanted icons from top bar, add shutdown to the menu, add
a menu item for workspaces, and more.

See:
http://blog.repl.ca/2011/12/essential-gnome-shell-extensions-for.html
to start with.