Unable to get into X

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Dec 8 18:29:00 UTC 2011

On 12/08/2011 05:54 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>  From the above I would say that the X session is up and running, using
> 1280x1024, on virtual terminal 7. A very dumb question: which VT are you
> looking at? Did you try to do a CTRL-ALT-F7 after starting X?

It's lying, I assure you.  It ignores ^Alt-Fx while the screen comes on,
goes off and repeats until I force reboot it.  There is never an nVidia
logo or any other image on the screen.

A sudden thunk: could it be GDM that's bombing?  Should I remove it and
replace it with KDM or some other login mangler?