FC16 newbe questions

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:19:33 UTC 2011

On Thursday 08 December 2011 10:58:27 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 09:30 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > And of course, you can always forgive&forget&switch to XFCE, KDE or
> > LXDE. ;-)
> And which one has that Win2000 look/feel that I kind of grew up with :)

If you ask me, try KDE first. AFAIK, XFCE and LXDE are more similar to the old
Gnome2 look&feel.

While it is completely inappropriate to compare DE's across different OS's, you
could say that KDE is "XP-like", while for example Gnome2&friends are "MacOSX-
like". But then again, this is completely inappropriate, since all Linux DE's
are quite different from Windows or Mac DE's. And none of KDE, XFCE, LXDE and
Gnome2/3 were ever designed to mimic XP or OSX to begin with, so any
similarity is either a coincidence or an independent design decision about
some feature being useful.

HTH, :-)
Marko