A cute CLI trick for emergencies

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Dec 8 21:37:43 UTC 2011

On 08Dec2011 09:27, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
| On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 10:34 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > |
| > | I tried dmesg first but never found anything useful in it.
| >
| > There should be a sequence like the below when you plug in a USB drive:
[...]
| > And thus the drive is /dev/sdf, with the data partition /dev/sdf1.
| >
| > You may need to scroll back a bit if a lot of stuff is going on in
| > dmesg.
| >
| Great, but could the displaying of the information be made more obscure?

Sure, but you'd need to recompile your kernel. (If you do, maybe turn on
the timestamps option, off by default - it drives me mad not knowing
_when_ a message landed in dmesg.)

I'm sure there's some cool udev event watcher widget somewhere that will
pop up a growl-like alert for you.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The wicked man shall be punished for his own wickedness, for he shall never
find inner peace and will seldom be given the really good tables at tearooms.
        - Gardner