gnome 3

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Dec 8 22:19:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:31:17 -0500
Chad Kellerman <sunckell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 15:18:59 +0000,
> >  Patrick Dupre <patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > As many user probably, I prefer the version of gnome 2.x (like the
> > > one running with fedora 14) to gnome 3. Is there any option to keep
> > > the previous version of gnome runing with the more recent versions of
> > > fedora?
> >
> > You can force fallback mode which will work pretty similar to how things
> > worked in gnome 2.
> > --
> >

> Or you can try different Extensions to get your desired gnome 2 "feel"
>
> https://extensions.gnome.org/
>
> You may not be able to get it exact.  But you can get it close.  There are
> other extensions, developed by other distros, that get that gnome 2 feel as
> well.

It depends how close you want it

If you skip F15 (which isn't a bad idea) then Gnome 3.2 + the extensions
Fedora has and which can be installed + gnome-tweak-tool) allows you to
set up a Gnome 3 environment where the file manager manages the desktop
as before, there is an applications menu and a dock on the right side.
3.2 has also fixed some of the worst "duh!.." issues of 3.0

For a laptop type display with those set and the dock turned on its quite
nice. On a bigger display it has the general problem that you can't bring
up an application menu by right clicking randomly on the blank desktop
but Gnome 2 had that also.

Some of the other extensions also fix various other window tab selection
stuff back to 'sane' behaviour.

It's not perfect - it's got its own new set of stupidities but 3.2 is
probably no more irritating than gnome 2.2 was now. It's better in places
and worse in others.

Just needs window shading to work and it might be heading vaguely towards
the level of XFCE