Weird Audacity behaviour

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 23:28:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM,  <fernando at lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm used to give distance classes using a flash-based webconferencing
> software (dimdim, unfortunately became closed source). I usually run
> audacity at the same time to record audio so students can download later.
> But yesterday audacity had a very strange behaviour: some class segments
> were overwritten over previous ones. Like I there were two of me talking
> different things at the same time.
>
> I usually do this on a dual core desltop, but yesterday I was on a atom
> netbook. I had tested for a few minutes before class and it was all fine.
> Maybe audacity and my netbook can't handle the load for a two-hour class?
> Has anyone experienced something like this before?

FWIW, I had to do a few ~2-3 hour recordings w/Audacity on a netbook
(Eee 1005HA) a couple years ago and they worked without issue.

> Any ideas on how to filter and isolate my two simultaneous speeches?

Do you still have the original Audacity project files?  If you're
really lucky, you might see two waveforms on top of each other in
Audacity, in which case you'd be able to cut and paste one of them to
different locations or different files.

-T.C.