Stateless IPv6 questions

nullv at gmx.com nullv at gmx.com
Fri Dec 9 03:47:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm kinda new to IPv6 and have a few questions on setting it up.
I've set up an IPv6 tunnel on sit1 and I have radvd broadcasting a prefix on em1. My clients are able to generate global IPv6 addresses and ping & browse other sites on the internet. However, I noticed that I have to enter DNS servers manually. Is there a way to set up dns servers for clients automatically without using DHCPv6? I know there are extensions that support rDNS servers & DNS search domains via the stateless protocol but is there a way I can also send DNS server info?
And also, I noticed that while the clients are generating properly prefixed global addresses, the gateway address (2001:...) is still a link-local address (fe80:...). Although things seem to be working will that be a problem for other applications or services?
Lastly, before (in IPv4) I had been using iptables NAT rules to filter client access to the internet. Can anyone confirm that in IPv6 I can use the ip6tables FORWARD chain for similar purposes? My research on it seems to confirm this but I just want someone else whi has had real world experience with this.

Thanks