Thunderbird - Disappearing Characters

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Fri Dec 9 13:03:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-09 at 20:14 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 12/09/2011 07:14 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> > Although I use Thunderbird (8 and 9) I don't use Chinese chars - but I
> > do have a rendering problem that is quite frustrating and I hope this
> > is not hijacking your thread -
> >
> > When composing with html formatting - there are many times in the
> > compose window that a line will blank out with often some red uneven
> > lines along it - moving the cursor back up and removing a character
> > and retyping it will often fix the rendering and everything is fine
> > again - this has been happening for quite a long time with TB 8 and
> > also 9 but I don't know if this is being worked on for a fix - anyone
> > else seeing this or am I alone?  It happens even if I change the font
> > (all normal characters though and not Chinese)
> >
> Your problem seems to be different than mine.
>
> I must admit that I'd not done any detailed analysis.  I will have to
> try composing a message when the condition happens again.  As well as
> copy/paste to a different window outside of TB.
>
> In my case, since it only affects the Chinese characters I wonder if it
> is some sort of memory corruption.
>
> A long time ago, I did see something along the lines of what you
> describe.  It ended up being a video driver issue.
>
> Hey, since you didn't talk about line lengths there was no hijacking
> whatsoever.  :-) :-)

I had a similar thing happen once or twice with FireFox.

It turns out that there was some sort of goofy permissions issue with
the fonts in /usr/share/fonts

I did the following and got things working:

chown -R root:root /usr/share/fonts/*
chmod -R 755 /usr/share/fonts/*

This might be a bit of overkill on permissions, but I have not had a
problem since...

Cheers,

Chris

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert,
in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."

-- Milton Friedman,
American economist and Nobel Prize recipient