Fedora 16 black screen with Radeon HD 6470M: partially solved?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:02:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:18:21 +0100, MF (M.) wrote:

> I got the GRUB 2 menu just fine. However, when I select or let start
> the default entry, the screen goes completely black. If I remove the
> "quiet" option in the grub entry I see that the last thing before it
> goes black is "radeon something..." (too fast to read it...)

I've tried to discuss a similar problem several times during F16
development, with a few late tips on debugging it (which have been
fruitless so far, however).

My bug report is: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/749250

My work-around is to either boot without "rhgb" or with Plymouth theme
"details". In both cases, nothing leads to a black screen.