Writing a book w/F16?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Fri Dec 9 22:24:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-09 at 22:04 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:22:15 +0100, NOSpaze wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I need to know what software f16 includes to aid in the task of writing
> > a book (not just spelling and TOC). libreoffice I'm using, but is too
> > slow and unappropriate when working with lots of text. Please dont'
> > advise to change OS, I'm a sysadmin and need fedora on all my laptops.
>
> 	My wife has written three under Fedora, the first with abiword,
> and the others with openoffice. The secret with the latter (which, as the
> nearest thing she has to tech support, I advised against for the first)
> is that it is modular.
>
> 	You can get into PackageKit, go through a list of the modules,
> and make sure the ones you can count on never using are all uninstalled.
> Modularity speeds Oo up, and my impression has been that uninstalling
> unused stuff speeds it some more.

I've written two books (Fedora Linux [650 pages] and X Power Tools [450
pages]) under OOo without significant problems -- though I tend to work
chapter-by-chapter. Both of these were for O'Reilly, so I used their
stylesheet (which is a bit psychedelic -- orange, red, and green
headings, for example -- to make it easier to spot styling mistakes) and
the documents were later transformed from ODT to their XML-based format
for their internal workflow.

Spending a half-hour or hour setting up a custom macro set and using a
good stylesheet can make a world of difference when writing with OOo.

-Chris