F14 login fails on backup copy; gdm error?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Dec 10 21:50:00 UTC 2011

On 12/10/2011 01:26 PM, Linda McLeod wrote:
> When the OS does go "thht", I rush to pull-off my bookmarks&  pw's, and
> "DBAN autonuke" the hd, reinstall F-14 plus the 500 updates, plus my
> custom peripheral package options..

I don't know what you're doing to make Fedora fail often enough to worry
about this, but my experience is very, very different from yours.  The
last time I did a clean install on my desktop, it was F9 and, except for
F10 and F15 which I skipped because they seemed flaky, I've used
preupgrade to go from one to another without any trouble until F16.
Right up until that upgrade blew up on me my computer was rock solid,
running 24/7.  And, if my suspicions are right, it's either a bad USB
port or keyboard that's giving me grief, not the OS, but that's beside
the point.  For the vast majority of users, Fedora, like any mainstream
Linux distro doesn't keep going tits up on you and needing reinstallation.

Instead of spending so much time on disaster recovery, you might
consider spending a little time finding out just what it is you're doing
(or not doing?) that's making your system act so hinky.