F16 - opening more terminal sessions

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Dec 11 05:41:04 UTC 2011

Robert Moskowitz writes:

> > Step 2: Run it. Open the "Desktop tab". Turn on the "Have file manager
> > handle the desktop" switch (that is, after you figure out which one of
> > the two confusing icons means that the switch is on, and which one
> > means it off).
> >
> > Step 3: For the last time, open a terminal window the Gnome 3 way, and
> > execute:
> >
> > cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop $HOME/Desktop
> >

> > The end: you'll now have a terminal icon on your desktop. Each time
> > you double-click on it, you'll get a new terminal window.
>
> Where on the desktop?  If I select Activities, I do not see it in the
> list.  Do I have to restart X (logout)?  Or reboot?

It should be displayed on the desktop. $HOME/Desktop should be a directory,
and that's where you've copied the icon.

If you had to mkdir-it, you might need to log out and log back in, but
enabling that tweak should immediately show all your desktop icons. It might
also be hiding behind a window. Close all windows, and look for a terminal
icon. "Have file manager handle the desktop" should restore any and all
desktop icons that you had on your Gnome 2 desktop. It should not require
you to log out.

> Speaking of reboot, I can't find reboot/poweroff!  So far I have SUed to
> do these....

The Gnome 3 usability experts want you to log out, then select "poweroff"
from the system login screen. There's an icon on the system login screen for
that. Somewhere. In some corner. Everyone can see that this is a more
productive way to initiate a shutdown, of course, than having the option in
a prominent menu somewhere on your main logged-in desktop.

Well, you can install "gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu",
logout and log back in. That should add the option to poweroff to the user
menu in the top-right corner.